Fandom is my Fandom
Here's a buncha Fandom Meta, Tools, and then also self-indulgent dream tools, that I love and/or intend to read
- I'm a fucking webmaster - lol worth a read to know your legacy if you run/maintain your own website
- The Fanfic Author's Guide to Metatext by eiiriworkshop on tumblr
- The Bodies of the Girls Who Made Me: Fanfic and the Modern World by Seanan McGuire
- Fan is a tool-using animal by Maciej Ceglowski
- On how to reconcile your love of a work being authored by asshole and/or bigoted authors by fiction-is-not-reality2 on tumblr (tumblr since deleted; link to archive.org)
- yes, you are allowed by shinelikethunder
- the best defense of RPF: anon: are you saying it's normal to ship real actual people and not just characters?
- This venhedish tumblr exchange about how romance and gencest and all other genres are not lesser than others. Slightly related, an analysis of incest in fiction by the inimitable olderthannetfic / franzeska
- Whoa look at all this meta
- Support for Dreamwidth
- visit https://fozmeadows.tumblr.com/fanthoughts
- should read this this at some point!
On Finding Fic
- AO3's list of unofficial browser tools>
- AO3rdr: rating system and block by tag system for Archive of Our Own
- Extension of Our Own - Google Only browser extension. Improved subscription list for Ao3.
- Interactive Fics Google Chrome extension for replacing "Y/N" with your actual name. Also works for replacing any other words with other words. Very fun.
- Fanfiction Organizer - Mark stories as like or dislike to color code and organize on fanfiction.net and archiveofourown.org. - Google Chrome only
- Ao3 Only Show Primary Pairing (Auto) Userscript by tencurse
- AO3 Savior
- AO3 Crossover Savior
- AOOO New Crap
On Reading Fic
First, visit AO3's FAQ about downloading fanfiction to get a real idea behind why downloading a story is so awesome and important.
- Moon+ Reader for Android is an excellent 3rd party e-reader with a lot of accessibility options far beyond Libby, Hoopla, etc.
- Kybook 3 for iOS
- Serial Reader is a fantastic reader that builds reading (literature) habits. I devour fanfiction so I rarely upload fics to Serial Reader but I need to mention it because I love it.
- E-ink devices are a game-changer reducing eye strain! For quick transfer between your computer or phone (where you may have found the fic) and your reading device (where you want to read the fic) on the same internet network, if it's a Kindle or Kobo, I use send.djazz.se
On Archiving Fic
- Calibre is a fantastic ebook organizer, and for fandom people, its extension FanFicFare.
- WebToEpub Add-On for Firefox
- Instapaper I've used to combine Livejournal or Dreamwidth posts (fanfiction separated into chapters of one story) into one story epub for you
- AO3 Downloader - bulk downloader
- Sending fics to one's Kobo/Kindle wirelessly
- Better Fiction - a Firefox Extension to Improve FF.net
- Dream Tools
This is a list of features I wish AO3 had natively, or that I wish I could make, or I'm hoping a dev could create one day.
I'd love to...
- Be able to bulk download all my bookmarked fics. Right now the most I (or anyone, I think) can d/l at once (at least on AO3) is 20 fics at a time bc AO3's bookmark listings are 20 stories per page, and using Calibre+FFF, I'm "downloading by web page."
- Have two separate "Any Field" fields in the works search page. This is so I can search for "AU 1" or "AU 2" which features "Pairing 1" or "Pairing 2." Because right now there is no way you can do this (I've tried many times). This makes it so that in one search results page, I can get either android AUs *or* dragon AUs (*or* as many other AUs as I like) that feature my ship 1 *or* ship 2 *or*
- Subscribe to get an email alert for *only* when the last chapter/last chapter is posted.
- Webmaster Kit
A lot of my credits are in my stylesheet, but to be as helpful as possible, here they are in FAQ form!
How did you...
- Customize Google Form fields?
I used Webjeda's tutorial blog post that got me started, and then I needed additional help with customizing the multiple choice radials and found the code on this YT tutorial by Trabant Technology Partners
- Design the News in the Fog page?
I tinkered with Silke V's Newspaper Style Design. Such a cool design. I love browsing freefrontend.com for snippets and ideas.
- Make the background move like that?
I started with John Towner's photography on Unsplash, downloaded a "make your picture move" gif-maker app on my phone. I don't recall which one because I uninstalled it afterwards (I was annoyed I couldn't find an uncomplicated software or website that'd do this for me vs. a mobile phone app).
Then it was time to turn it into a cinemagraph using Photoshop CS6 Extended (link to my favorite cinemagraph tutorial). Cinemagraphs ensure the gif looks like a perfect loop, by having the beginning and end of the gif morph-transition into each other.
Finally, I got to upload the gif as my site's background image \o/
- Dropdown accordion?
Simple Flat UI CSS Accordion BY Álvaro on CodePen
- Header text animation effect?
Elisabeth Diang's Pure CSS Glitch Experiment on CodePen which I found via the article CSS Text Animation by Slide Revolution
- Add view counts to specific story webpages?
- Wrap text around images
- Customize Google Form fields?